Saturday, August 4, 2007

Rexburg

My mom called me from Rexburg, Idaho today. She and my father are out there for a family reunion. As they drove through the city to their destination, my mom kept me updated as to where exactly they were, main street, then 200 East. We reminisced a very little bit and I pictured where she was, Broulims, and the tiny drag on main that the Rexburg natives drive on Friday and Saturday nights. "We've pulled up to Albertson's, your dad has gone in to pick up a birthday cake for Karen." Albertson's. I told my mom about the time M. and I walked all the way to Albertson's. We walked out there counting on the free shuttle to take us back. After we had purchased a ton of stuff we stepped out into the parking lot expecting the shuttle to show up any minute. As we stood there waiting, an Albertson's manager kindly informed us that the shuttle had been discontinued. We stood there with our armloads of stuff contemplating the long walk home. A woman in a beat up, light blue bug pulled up and offered us a ride. M. wasn't too sure, but I said yes and we hopped in. The passenger seat had no back to it and the brakes were out. She had to use the parking brake to stop the car. "That's the kind of thing that could only happen to you," my mom said, "the situations you get yourself into." This statement seems true considering what I had just told my mom (and considering all the other crazy things that seem to happen to me) about hitting a dark green outbackish looking car while driving a big U-haul cargo van trying to find a place to unload a queen size boxspring that wouldn't fit up our narrow staircase. After I hit his car I stayed put, not wanting to compound the damage. He slowly got out the passenger side of his car, he was built, bald and held a cigarette between his lips. His face was blank, formidable, I imagined the outburst of curses that was sure to come and braced myself for it. He slowly motioned me to reverse. Then to come forward a bit. He examined his car and the van. "You have a small ding," he said, "my car is fine." He got back in his car and drove off. Thank you, sir.

No comments: